Connect with us

News

FG never gave N570 billion to 36 States – Seyi Makinde counters President Tinubu

Following President Bola Tinubu’s announcement that his administration has given a total sum of N570 billion to the 36 states as a palliative measure to ease the citizens’ economic condition, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has come out to say the President’s comments are not accurate.

Tinubu made this statement while addressing the nation last Sunday, appealing that
those protesting halt their demonstration and return to the negotiation table.

According to the president, the State received this huge sum as a grant from the
federal government.

He said, “Also, more than N570 billion has been released to the 36 states to expand
livelihood support to their citizens, while 600,000 nano-businesses have benefitted
from our nano-grants. An additional 400,000 more nano-businesses are expected to
benefit.”

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has countered claims by President Tinubu. In a newsletter signed by the governor and published on the state’s official website on
Thursday, Makinde said the funds disbursed were not a direct allocation from the
federal government.

The governor clarified that the money received by the states was World
Bank COVID-19 funds, with the federal government acting only as an intermediary
between the international creditor and the 36 states.

He further explained that the funding was contingent on what the states had already
spent on COVID-19 programs, meaning the World Bank was simply reimbursing what
the states had used to address the pandemic crisis.

The Statement read as follows:

“Before I speak more on further actions we have taken to show our commitment to
productivity and sustainability, let me respond to a long message I received earlier in
the week from a concerned citizen. The message was about a purported N570 billion Hardship Fund “given” to the 36 States by the Federal Government. I was queried about what I used the money for. Let me state categorically that this is yet another case of misrepresentation of facts. The said funds were part of the World Bank-assisted NG-CARES project—a Program for Results Intervention. The World Bank facilitated an intervention to help States in Nigeria with COVID-19 Recovery. CARES means COVID-19 Action Recovery Economic Stimulus.

“It was called Programme for Results because States had to use their money in
advance to implement the program. After the World Bank verified the amount
spent by the State, it reimbursed the States through the platform provided at the
Federal level. The Federal Government did not give any State money; they were simply the
conduit through which the reimbursements were made to States for money already
spent,” Makinde said.

According to Makinde, the funding from the World Bank that was given to the state was not
a grant, but a loan that is expected to be paid back by each state.
He said the NG-Cares loan, as it is dubbed, predates Tinubu’s administration as the
facilities were received in different batches.
According to him, Oyo State received N5.98 billion in the first instance and N822
million in the second instance as reimbursement which was part of the investment of
the State government under the program.
“It is important to note that the World Bank fund is a loan to States, not a grant. So,
States will need to repay this loan. Note also that NG-CARES, which we christened
Oyo-CARES in our State predates the present federal administration.
So, in direct response to the message, the Federal Government did not give Oyo
State any money. We have reimbursed funds (N5.98 billion in the first instance and
N822 million in the second instance) we invested in the three result areas of NGCARES, which includes inputs distribution to smallholder farmers within our State”
When the World Bank saw our model for the distribution of inputs preceded
by biometric capturing of beneficiary farmers, they adopted it as the NG-CARES
model,” Makinde added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

I’ll back only candidates who support Tinubu in FCT Polls – Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, says he will support only candidates who support President Bola Tinubu’s vision, irrespective of political party, in the FCT area councils’ election scheduled for February 21.

Wike made the statement in Abuja on Saturday night during Senator Sandy Onor’s 60th birthday, a celebration of six decades of scholarship, leadership, service, and meaningful impact.

The Minister, who said he owed no one an apology for supporting Tinubu, promised to back any candidate aligned with the President.

“We have the FCT Area Council election coming up on February 21, and I have a duty to support any candidate who supports President Tinubu to win.

“It is also my duty to ensure that any candidate who is not supporting Tinubu does not win in the election, and I owe no apology on my stand,”* Wike said.

Speaking about the celebrant, Wike described Onor as a “credible ally, a trustworthy friend, and good brother.”

According to him, Onor is not only a friend but a reliable one, even in times of trouble: “I will continue to be with you and work with you, because I know even if I am not alive today, you will not abandon my family.”

Reading the citation for the celebrant, Prof. Anthony Eyang said Onor, born on Feb. 14, 1966, in Ikom, Cross River, was raised in an environment rooted in community values, discipline, and faith.

Eyang noted that Onor’s journey, from the lecture halls of the University of Calabar to the Nigerian Senate and onward to Cross River politics, “reflects a life devoted to learning, leadership, and the advancement of society.”

Earlier, Chairman of the planning committee, Senator Philip Aduda, said the event was a thanksgiving for God’s faithfulness in Onor’s life, both as an academic and a politician.

Former Governor of Benue, Mr Samuel Otom, who stood in for the Chairman of the Occasion, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, former Governor of Abia State and Ambassador-designate, described Onor as an “icon,” a great Nigerian, and a man prepared and fit for leadership. He also called Onor a “good man.”

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Kalu Agabi (SAN), described the celebrant as courageous and intelligent. “I love Sen. Sandy Onor because he is not one of those who stigmatise the constitution as a product of the military,” he said.

Head of Department of History and International Studies, University of Calabar, Prof. Dave Imbua, presented a Festschrift—a book written by scholars in honour of the celebrant, stating that Onor has remained a notable historian among academics.

Continue Reading

News

US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to Boko Haram, And Other Crimes

us embassy

The United States has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of having links to the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

This was contained in a 3,000-page document dated February 10, released by the United States Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control and sighted by the correspondent on Monday.

The document also identified individuals sanctioned for cybercrime-related offences and other security threats. The pronouncement comes on the heels of recent recommendations by the US Congress for visa bans and asset freezes on persons and groups accused of violations of religious freedom and persecution of Christians in Nigeria.

The former Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso; the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria; and Miyetti Allah Kautal were recommended by United States lawmakers for visa bans and asset freezes.

The OFAC document, titled “Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List,” detailed individuals of other nationalities and entities whose assets had been frozen, serving as a reference tool. It also provided notice of actions taken against Specially Designated Nationals, whose property and interests were blocked as part of counter-terrorism efforts.

According to OFAC, the move forms part of its broader efforts to block the property and interests of Specially Designated Nationals and prevent financial dealings with them.

“This publication of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control is designed as a reference tool providing actual notice of actions by OFAC with respect to Specially Designated Nationals and other persons (which term includes both individuals and entities) whose property is blocked, to assist the public in complying with the various sanctions programmes administered by OFAC,” the agency said.

Among those listed is Salih Yusuf Adamu, also known as Salihu Yusuf, born on August 23, 1990, in Nigeria. Yusuf was identified as having ties to Boko Haram and was reported to hold a Nigerian passport.

Yusuf was among six Nigerians convicted in 2022 for setting up a Boko Haram cell in the United Arab Emirates to raise funds for insurgents in Nigeria. The six men were convicted in the UAE for attempting to send $782,000 from Dubai to Nigeria.

Another individual, Babestan Oluwole Ademulero, born on March 4, 1953, in Nigeria, was designated under SDNTK sanctions. He appeared under several aliases, including Wole A. Babestan and Olatunde Irewole Shofeso.

Also designated was Abu Abdullah ibn Umar Al-Barnawi, also known as Ba Idrisa. He was reportedly born between 1989 and 1994 in Maiduguri, Borno State, and was flagged under terrorism-related sanctions.

Abu Musab Al-Barnawi, also referred to as Habib Yusuf, was listed with varying birth years between 1990 and 1995. He was identified as a Boko Haram leader and sanctioned under terrorism provisions.

Continue Reading

News

Even with 10 million votes, Obi still wouldn’t have won the 2023 Elections — Lai Mohammed

Lekki Toll Gate

Former Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has insisted that Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi would not have won the 2023 presidential election even if he had secured 10 million votes.

Mohammed explained this while appearing on Edmund Obilo’s State Affairs Podcast, that Obi still could not get “one-quarter of votes cast in 25 states,” a constitutional requirement for winning the presidency.

“Even if Obi had got 10million votes, he wouldn’t have won. This is because he still could not get one-quarter of the votes cast in 25 states. It is even on record that he could not provide agents at about 40,000 polling units,” the ex-minister said.

Speaking on factors that shaped the 2023 election, especially in Lagos state, Mohammed said, “For the first time in the history of politics in Nigeria, ethnicity and religion played a very frontal role.”

He added that the #EndSARS protests had an impact, particularly in Lagos, where many youths “wanted a pound of flesh,” which did not help the APC or Bola Tinubu.

Mohammed further emphasized the difference between presidential elections and governorship or National Assembly contests.

“I am of the belief that the presidential elections are not as personal as the governorships or national assemblies. In presidential elections, a man might not be affiliated with any of the candidates. But when it comes to governorships, it is particular and peculiar because the candidate lives in the state,” he said.

On Tinubu’s leadership, Mohammed stated that the president does not withdraw support from allies after electoral defeats.

“Asiwaju is not the kind of person who will drop his support for you because you have lost the election. No, he will still encourage you,” he said, adding that Tinubu has often been underestimated due to his warm and charismatic personality.

“He is strategic and really understands Nigerian politics better than anybody you might think of,” Mohammed said.

Continue Reading

Trending