Connect with us

News

FG never gave N570 billion to 36 States – Seyi Makinde counters President Tinubu

Following President Bola Tinubu’s announcement that his administration has given a total sum of N570 billion to the 36 states as a palliative measure to ease the citizens’ economic condition, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has come out to say the President’s comments are not accurate.

Tinubu made this statement while addressing the nation last Sunday, appealing that
those protesting halt their demonstration and return to the negotiation table.

According to the president, the State received this huge sum as a grant from the
federal government.

He said, “Also, more than N570 billion has been released to the 36 states to expand
livelihood support to their citizens, while 600,000 nano-businesses have benefitted
from our nano-grants. An additional 400,000 more nano-businesses are expected to
benefit.”

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has countered claims by President Tinubu. In a newsletter signed by the governor and published on the state’s official website on
Thursday, Makinde said the funds disbursed were not a direct allocation from the
federal government.

The governor clarified that the money received by the states was World
Bank COVID-19 funds, with the federal government acting only as an intermediary
between the international creditor and the 36 states.

He further explained that the funding was contingent on what the states had already
spent on COVID-19 programs, meaning the World Bank was simply reimbursing what
the states had used to address the pandemic crisis.

The Statement read as follows:

“Before I speak more on further actions we have taken to show our commitment to
productivity and sustainability, let me respond to a long message I received earlier in
the week from a concerned citizen. The message was about a purported N570 billion Hardship Fund “given” to the 36 States by the Federal Government. I was queried about what I used the money for. Let me state categorically that this is yet another case of misrepresentation of facts. The said funds were part of the World Bank-assisted NG-CARES project—a Program for Results Intervention. The World Bank facilitated an intervention to help States in Nigeria with COVID-19 Recovery. CARES means COVID-19 Action Recovery Economic Stimulus.

“It was called Programme for Results because States had to use their money in
advance to implement the program. After the World Bank verified the amount
spent by the State, it reimbursed the States through the platform provided at the
Federal level. The Federal Government did not give any State money; they were simply the
conduit through which the reimbursements were made to States for money already
spent,” Makinde said.

According to Makinde, the funding from the World Bank that was given to the state was not
a grant, but a loan that is expected to be paid back by each state.
He said the NG-Cares loan, as it is dubbed, predates Tinubu’s administration as the
facilities were received in different batches.
According to him, Oyo State received N5.98 billion in the first instance and N822
million in the second instance as reimbursement which was part of the investment of
the State government under the program.
“It is important to note that the World Bank fund is a loan to States, not a grant. So,
States will need to repay this loan. Note also that NG-CARES, which we christened
Oyo-CARES in our State predates the present federal administration.
So, in direct response to the message, the Federal Government did not give Oyo
State any money. We have reimbursed funds (N5.98 billion in the first instance and
N822 million in the second instance) we invested in the three result areas of NGCARES, which includes inputs distribution to smallholder farmers within our State”
When the World Bank saw our model for the distribution of inputs preceded
by biometric capturing of beneficiary farmers, they adopted it as the NG-CARES
model,” Makinde added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

2Baba unfollows wife Natasha and refollows ex-wife Annie

Nigerian music legend Innocent “2Baba” Idibia has unfollowed his wife, Natasha Osawaru, on Instagram, days after a reported public confrontation between the two at a nightclub opening in Abuja.

The incident reportedly occurred on Friday at the launch of the “90s Lounge,” where 2Baba was billed to perform. According to accounts circulating online, Osawaru arrived at the venue accompanied by several men before approaching the singer’s vehicle, triggering a commotion that required the intervention of police and security personnel.

An eyewitness account shared by a social media user claimed Osawaru had demanded to speak with 2Baba on arrival, though the widely circulated video from the scene does not show what specifically triggered the confrontation.

Following the incident, 2Baba was said to have told Osawaru he was no longer interested in continuing their relationship. Checks on his Instagram account on Sunday confirmed he had unfollowed her, while Osawaru continued to follow him.

The fallout comes just over a year after 2Baba’s very public split from his ex-wife, actress Annie Macaulay Idibia, ending a 13-year marriage in January 2025. He confirmed his relationship with Osawaru, an Edo State lawmaker, shortly after, proposing in February 2025 and marrying her in a private traditional ceremony that July.

In a further twist, checks on Monday showed that 2Baba and Annie have since followed each other again on Instagram, more than a year after the pair had unfollowed one another following their separation. The renewed connection has fuelled fresh speculation and reactions online, with many commenters framing the timing as a kind of poetic justice given the current strain between 2Baba and Osawaru.

This isn’t the first sign of tension surrounding the marriage. In a previous incident, 2Baba reportedly interrupted a livestream in which his former managers were discussing his private life, telling them directly to stop. Shortly after, a heated exchange between him and Osawaru was heard off-camera before the broadcast was abruptly cut.

Throughout the public scrutiny surrounding his relationships, 2Baba has maintained that Osawaru was not the reason for his separation from Annie.As of publication, neither 2Baba nor Osawaru has issued a public statement addressing the nightclub incident or the changes to their social media activity.

Continue Reading

Celebs

Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh launches Christian Prayer Ministry

The former Nollywood actress kicked off her ministry in Abuja, called New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle. After months of announcing her plans to go into ministry, former Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh is now leading a Christian gathering in Abuja. In a video clip shared on her Instagram page, the 40-year-old was captured leading a powerful prayer session in her newly launched New Wine Prophetic Ministry.

The former Nollywood star describes her New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle as an interdenominational altar dedicated to prayer, revival, spiritual training, and the awakening of consecrated believers.

“NEW WINE PROPHETIC TABERNACLE (NWPT) @nwpt_global is an interdenominational altar, spiritual home, and global movement of consecrated believers called to experience the raw power, purity, and presence of God. Grounded in the foundational truth of Scripture “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins…” (Mark 2:22).
NWPT exists as a dwelling place of His presence for those who refuse to settle for lukewarm Christianity and are hungry for genuine revival, fire, and transformation.”

She added that her ministry is not a church but an intense gathering of those consecrated and equipped for the purposes of God. Since converting to a born-again Christian, Tonto Dikeh has been vocal about her faith. In February 2026, she completed a discipleship programme at Pastor Jerry Eze’s Streams of Joy International church, sharing her certificate on Instagram and speaking about a profound spiritual rebirth that had reshaped her perspective on life, faith, and service.

The vocal embrace of her Christian faith has not been without some controversy. In March 2026, a video where she was performing a deliverance on a schoolgirl went viral online and led to massive criticism, including the threat of a lawsuit by a Human Rights Lawyer.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

$20K, ₦400m mansion, other lavish gifts Peller and Jarvis received for wedding

The wedding of TikTok stars Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, and Elizabeth Amadou, better known as Jarvis, was filled with memorable moments. Beyond the glamorous outfits, celebrity guests, and cultural displays, it was the extravagant gifts presented to the newlyweds that became one of the biggest talking points.

Even before the wedding day, gifts had already started pouring in, while several admirers promised to present theirs during the ceremony. Peller’s longtime TikTok supporter, Gregory, kicked off the celebrations with a generous wedding gift of $20,000.

Gregory travelled to Nigeria specifically for the wedding and expressed excitement about being part of the occasion. Speaking during the event, he also revealed his interest in investing in Nigeria. “I can’t relocate, but Peller and Peller are going to work on some investment opportunities in Nigeria. One of the things that I really wanna do is open a school here. Hopefully we can do it; that would be my dream

One of the biggest surprises of the day came from Delta based billionaire Mohammed Ochacho, who presented the couple with a mansion worth ₦400 million in Lifecamp, Abuja.

While announcing the gift, the businessman explained that his children encouraged him to make the presentation. “On behalf of my children, I am presenting a brand new house for you worth ₦400 million in Lifecamp, Abuja.”

The gesture came just days after Peller met Ochacho at music executive Soso Soberekon’s event. During that meeting, the billionaire introduced the content creator to some of his associates and had earlier promised him 10 cows as part of his wedding gifts. Peller later jokingly called him out for not fulfilling that promise before the mansion was eventually unveiled.

In June 2026, Peller proposed to Jarvis during a private beachside ceremony at La Palm Royal Beach Hotel in Ghana

Just weeks later, he paid her bride price during a traditional introduction ceremony in Edo State, after which they had a court wedding.

Continue Reading

Trending