Connect with us

News

Lakurawa: All You Need To Know About ‘new’ terror group In Northern Nigeria

In 2017, local leaders in Sokoto State’s Gudu and Tangaza LGAs initially invited the Lakurawa group to address the growing threats from bandits from Zamfara State.

Nigerian military called them a relatively new terror group that infiltrated Sokoto and Kebbi states through the Niger Republic following the coup in Nigeria’s neighbor. Still, findings reveal that they had been active even before last year’s coup in Niger.

Last Thursday, the Nigerian Defence Headquarters described Lakurawa as a new terror group exacerbating insecurity in the North-west region.

“Troops are confronted with a new terrorist sect in the North-west,” Edward Buba, a military spokesperson said during a press conference. “This sect is known as Lukawaras, the Lukawaras are affiliated to terrorists in the Sahel, particularly from Mali and Niger Republic.”

Mr Buba, a major general, also claimed that the Lakurawas emerged from Mali and the Republic of Niger after last year’s coup in Niger led to the breakdown of military cooperation between the country and Nigeria.

Lakurawa Is Linked With al-Qaeda Terrorists

Since the military declared Lakurawa as a new terror group, there have been a lot of narratives about the group on social media as seen here and here. One narrative linked them to the Islamic State in the Greater Sahel (ISGS), but research published a few years ago counters that.

As explained in a 2022 study conducted by Murtala Rufa’i, James Barnett, and Abdulaziz Abdulaziz, the Lakurawa militants rejected the Boko Haram label and preferred to be called Mujahideen or Ansaru, the franchise of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in Nigeria.

Like Lakurawa, the Ansaru terror group promises to protect locals in its strongholds. The group mainly targets military formations, although it also targets civilians who it considers spies or infidels. Ansaru terrorists, who could have the same ideology as Lakurawa, are believed to be present in parts of Kaduna, especially Birnin Gwari. This shows that jihadis are trying to penetrate the banditry-ravaged North-west

Lakurawa Is Not New, Started As A Group Of Mercenaries

According to a 2021 study by Mr Rufa’i, a historian with expertise in regional terrorism, the Lakurawa group was initially invited by local leaders in Gudu and Tangaza LGAs of Sokoto State in 2017 to address the growing threats by bandits from Zamfara State.

The “Zamfarawa bandits crossed from their strongholds in Zamfara to attack locals in Jina-Jini, Wassaniya, Tabaringa, Mulawa in Tangaza and Gudu LGAs. The bandits also terrorized eastern Sokoto communities in Isa, Sabon Birni, Rabah, Goronyo, and Illela LGAs,” Mr Rufa’i noted, adding: “The Islamic sect [Lakurawa] started with less than 50 indigenous youth in 2017, but this number has since increased to over 200, mainly young boys between the ages of 18–35.”

The Lakurawas, according to a traditional ruler in Balle, a village in Gudu LGA, are Malians who speak Arabic and Fulfulde languages. “They were invited to provide security to our communities,” the traditional ruler told Mr Ruf’ai in an interview in 2021.

“The District Head of Balle in Gudu Local Government together with the District Head of Gongono in Tangaza Local Government met with Alhaji Bello Wamakko, the then Chairman of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), and discussed how to tackle Zamfarawa (Bandits). They finally decided to hire Lakurawa from Mali to deal with Zamfarawa bandits. This was the first effort,” the traditional ruler had said, adding that he warned the then-Governor Aliyu Wamakko about the invitation of the Lakurawas.

When the media first reported the infiltration of armed Lakurawa in 2018, the police debunked the news, saying they were non-violent herders who “came to the area largely owing to availability of water for their animals.”

Cordelia Nwawe, the then-police spokesperson in Sokoto State, explained that the Malian group was sighted around Marake forest in Gudu LGA and Wassaniya, Tunigara, Mulawa, Jina-Jini villages in Tangaza LGA.

Lakurawa became violent when its members killed the district head of Tangaza, one of the traditional rulers who invited them. According to Mr Rufa’i, the group accused Mr Muktar, the district head’s son, of having N63 million in his custody. The Lakurawas made this claim after Mr Muktar died in a fire accident.

The group later killed the district head in his palace after the traditional ruler disputed their claim.

Before this, the group had been preaching its ideology to locals, collecting “Zakat” of livestock from herders, Bashiru Tagimba, a youth leader in Tagimba village told Mr. Rufa’i.

“They check people’s phones and break the memory cards that contain music,” Mr Tagimba said, adding that the group also flogged people who played or danced to music.

Wanton attacks on military formations in border towns by the Lakurawas propelled the Nigerian and Nigerien militaries to join forces, conducting a joint operation in late 2018, Messrs Rufa’i, Barnett and Abdulaziz stated in their study.

According to them, the joint operation checked the activities of the Lakurawas, but some locals still reported that they saw them in the area. This suggests that the terrorists only stopped attacking military targets.

Traditional and religious leaders who initially supported the Lakurawa terrorists later turned against them when the group’s actions deviated from the original purpose of their invitation

The Nigerian authorities’ failure to address the Lakurawa threat allowed the group to re-emerge in 2021. This time, it aligned with bandits and Fulani communities against the outlawed Yan Sakai vigilante group.

The coup in Niger and the collapsed joint military operations of Nigerian and Nigerien forces appear to have further emboldened the terror group.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

2Baba unfollows wife Natasha and refollows ex-wife Annie

Nigerian music legend Innocent “2Baba” Idibia has unfollowed his wife, Natasha Osawaru, on Instagram, days after a reported public confrontation between the two at a nightclub opening in Abuja.

The incident reportedly occurred on Friday at the launch of the “90s Lounge,” where 2Baba was billed to perform. According to accounts circulating online, Osawaru arrived at the venue accompanied by several men before approaching the singer’s vehicle, triggering a commotion that required the intervention of police and security personnel.

An eyewitness account shared by a social media user claimed Osawaru had demanded to speak with 2Baba on arrival, though the widely circulated video from the scene does not show what specifically triggered the confrontation.

Following the incident, 2Baba was said to have told Osawaru he was no longer interested in continuing their relationship. Checks on his Instagram account on Sunday confirmed he had unfollowed her, while Osawaru continued to follow him.

The fallout comes just over a year after 2Baba’s very public split from his ex-wife, actress Annie Macaulay Idibia, ending a 13-year marriage in January 2025. He confirmed his relationship with Osawaru, an Edo State lawmaker, shortly after, proposing in February 2025 and marrying her in a private traditional ceremony that July.

In a further twist, checks on Monday showed that 2Baba and Annie have since followed each other again on Instagram, more than a year after the pair had unfollowed one another following their separation. The renewed connection has fuelled fresh speculation and reactions online, with many commenters framing the timing as a kind of poetic justice given the current strain between 2Baba and Osawaru.

This isn’t the first sign of tension surrounding the marriage. In a previous incident, 2Baba reportedly interrupted a livestream in which his former managers were discussing his private life, telling them directly to stop. Shortly after, a heated exchange between him and Osawaru was heard off-camera before the broadcast was abruptly cut.

Throughout the public scrutiny surrounding his relationships, 2Baba has maintained that Osawaru was not the reason for his separation from Annie.As of publication, neither 2Baba nor Osawaru has issued a public statement addressing the nightclub incident or the changes to their social media activity.

Continue Reading

Celebs

Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh launches Christian Prayer Ministry

The former Nollywood actress kicked off her ministry in Abuja, called New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle. After months of announcing her plans to go into ministry, former Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh is now leading a Christian gathering in Abuja. In a video clip shared on her Instagram page, the 40-year-old was captured leading a powerful prayer session in her newly launched New Wine Prophetic Ministry.

The former Nollywood star describes her New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle as an interdenominational altar dedicated to prayer, revival, spiritual training, and the awakening of consecrated believers.

“NEW WINE PROPHETIC TABERNACLE (NWPT) @nwpt_global is an interdenominational altar, spiritual home, and global movement of consecrated believers called to experience the raw power, purity, and presence of God. Grounded in the foundational truth of Scripture “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins…” (Mark 2:22).
NWPT exists as a dwelling place of His presence for those who refuse to settle for lukewarm Christianity and are hungry for genuine revival, fire, and transformation.”

She added that her ministry is not a church but an intense gathering of those consecrated and equipped for the purposes of God. Since converting to a born-again Christian, Tonto Dikeh has been vocal about her faith. In February 2026, she completed a discipleship programme at Pastor Jerry Eze’s Streams of Joy International church, sharing her certificate on Instagram and speaking about a profound spiritual rebirth that had reshaped her perspective on life, faith, and service.

The vocal embrace of her Christian faith has not been without some controversy. In March 2026, a video where she was performing a deliverance on a schoolgirl went viral online and led to massive criticism, including the threat of a lawsuit by a Human Rights Lawyer.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

$20K, ₦400m mansion, other lavish gifts Peller and Jarvis received for wedding

The wedding of TikTok stars Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, and Elizabeth Amadou, better known as Jarvis, was filled with memorable moments. Beyond the glamorous outfits, celebrity guests, and cultural displays, it was the extravagant gifts presented to the newlyweds that became one of the biggest talking points.

Even before the wedding day, gifts had already started pouring in, while several admirers promised to present theirs during the ceremony. Peller’s longtime TikTok supporter, Gregory, kicked off the celebrations with a generous wedding gift of $20,000.

Gregory travelled to Nigeria specifically for the wedding and expressed excitement about being part of the occasion. Speaking during the event, he also revealed his interest in investing in Nigeria. “I can’t relocate, but Peller and Peller are going to work on some investment opportunities in Nigeria. One of the things that I really wanna do is open a school here. Hopefully we can do it; that would be my dream

One of the biggest surprises of the day came from Delta based billionaire Mohammed Ochacho, who presented the couple with a mansion worth ₦400 million in Lifecamp, Abuja.

While announcing the gift, the businessman explained that his children encouraged him to make the presentation. “On behalf of my children, I am presenting a brand new house for you worth ₦400 million in Lifecamp, Abuja.”

The gesture came just days after Peller met Ochacho at music executive Soso Soberekon’s event. During that meeting, the billionaire introduced the content creator to some of his associates and had earlier promised him 10 cows as part of his wedding gifts. Peller later jokingly called him out for not fulfilling that promise before the mansion was eventually unveiled.

In June 2026, Peller proposed to Jarvis during a private beachside ceremony at La Palm Royal Beach Hotel in Ghana

Just weeks later, he paid her bride price during a traditional introduction ceremony in Edo State, after which they had a court wedding.

Continue Reading

Trending