Connect with us

News

Air Peace fires 70 pilots reduces salaries

Nigerian airline, Air Peace, has sacked 70 pilots in the organisation. Even at that, there has also been a reduction in salaries of staff by 40%.

Reason for the lay-off was said to have been linked to the non- operation of flights amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

According to Punch, the spokesperson of the airline Mr Stanley Olise in a statement issued by him on Monday described the disengagement of the pilots as rightful decision though painful.

Part of the statement read, “The airline cannot afford to toe the path of being unable to continue to fulfil its financial obligations to its staff, external vendors, aviation agencies, maintenance organisations, insurance companies, banks and other creditors, hence the decision to restructure its entire operations with a view to surviving the times.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

US sanctions 8 Nigerians over links to Boko Haram, And Other Crimes

us embassy

The United States has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of having links to the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

This was contained in a 3,000-page document dated February 10, released by the United States Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control and sighted by the correspondent on Monday.

The document also identified individuals sanctioned for cybercrime-related offences and other security threats. The pronouncement comes on the heels of recent recommendations by the US Congress for visa bans and asset freezes on persons and groups accused of violations of religious freedom and persecution of Christians in Nigeria.

The former Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso; the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria; and Miyetti Allah Kautal were recommended by United States lawmakers for visa bans and asset freezes.

The OFAC document, titled “Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List,” detailed individuals of other nationalities and entities whose assets had been frozen, serving as a reference tool. It also provided notice of actions taken against Specially Designated Nationals, whose property and interests were blocked as part of counter-terrorism efforts.

According to OFAC, the move forms part of its broader efforts to block the property and interests of Specially Designated Nationals and prevent financial dealings with them.

“This publication of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control is designed as a reference tool providing actual notice of actions by OFAC with respect to Specially Designated Nationals and other persons (which term includes both individuals and entities) whose property is blocked, to assist the public in complying with the various sanctions programmes administered by OFAC,” the agency said.

Among those listed is Salih Yusuf Adamu, also known as Salihu Yusuf, born on August 23, 1990, in Nigeria. Yusuf was identified as having ties to Boko Haram and was reported to hold a Nigerian passport.

Yusuf was among six Nigerians convicted in 2022 for setting up a Boko Haram cell in the United Arab Emirates to raise funds for insurgents in Nigeria. The six men were convicted in the UAE for attempting to send $782,000 from Dubai to Nigeria.

Another individual, Babestan Oluwole Ademulero, born on March 4, 1953, in Nigeria, was designated under SDNTK sanctions. He appeared under several aliases, including Wole A. Babestan and Olatunde Irewole Shofeso.

Also designated was Abu Abdullah ibn Umar Al-Barnawi, also known as Ba Idrisa. He was reportedly born between 1989 and 1994 in Maiduguri, Borno State, and was flagged under terrorism-related sanctions.

Abu Musab Al-Barnawi, also referred to as Habib Yusuf, was listed with varying birth years between 1990 and 1995. He was identified as a Boko Haram leader and sanctioned under terrorism provisions.

Continue Reading

News

Even with 10 million votes, Obi still wouldn’t have won the 2023 Elections — Lai Mohammed

Lekki Toll Gate

Former Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has insisted that Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi would not have won the 2023 presidential election even if he had secured 10 million votes.

Mohammed explained this while appearing on Edmund Obilo’s State Affairs Podcast, that Obi still could not get “one-quarter of votes cast in 25 states,” a constitutional requirement for winning the presidency.

“Even if Obi had got 10million votes, he wouldn’t have won. This is because he still could not get one-quarter of the votes cast in 25 states. It is even on record that he could not provide agents at about 40,000 polling units,” the ex-minister said.

Speaking on factors that shaped the 2023 election, especially in Lagos state, Mohammed said, “For the first time in the history of politics in Nigeria, ethnicity and religion played a very frontal role.”

He added that the #EndSARS protests had an impact, particularly in Lagos, where many youths “wanted a pound of flesh,” which did not help the APC or Bola Tinubu.

Mohammed further emphasized the difference between presidential elections and governorship or National Assembly contests.

“I am of the belief that the presidential elections are not as personal as the governorships or national assemblies. In presidential elections, a man might not be affiliated with any of the candidates. But when it comes to governorships, it is particular and peculiar because the candidate lives in the state,” he said.

On Tinubu’s leadership, Mohammed stated that the president does not withdraw support from allies after electoral defeats.

“Asiwaju is not the kind of person who will drop his support for you because you have lost the election. No, he will still encourage you,” he said, adding that Tinubu has often been underestimated due to his warm and charismatic personality.

“He is strategic and really understands Nigerian politics better than anybody you might think of,” Mohammed said.

Continue Reading

Celebs

Ayra Starr’s Much Anticipated Album To Drop in 2026

Ayra Starr has sparked a whirlwind of anticipation across the global music landscape. Following her meteoric rise, the Mavin Records superstar and Roc Nation signee has stirred excitement among fans by hinting at her forthcoming project.

Featured in Spotify’s “Our Frequency” zine issue 033, the ‘Celestial Being’ shared insights into her personal and professional aspirations, including a tease that her next album could land in 2026. This disclosure emerged within Spotify’s platform dedicated to celebrating Black artists and their creative narratives, with the recent edition spotlighting Starr’s journey of growth and artistic evolution.

Spotify’s “Our Frequency” initiative offers artists a space to reveal intimate details about their lives and craft. In the Spotify feature, Ayra Starr reflected on her formative years and how diverse environments shaped her distinctive sound and personality.

The 23-year-old drew interesting parallels between cultures, noting that, “Growing up in Benin and Nigeria, it was two different vibes.” She likened the energy of Nigeria’s commercial hub to a global city: “Lagos is almost like New York.”

In stark contrast, the 2026 Grammy nominee described her experience in the Benin Republic: “Benin Republic has more like a beach vibe. Everywhere is, like, calm. Everybody is quiet, so I can’t put it into, like, a few words. It’s made me who I am.”

It was within this context of personal evolution that Ayra Starr dropped the major album news, offering insight into her 2026 goals: “In 2026, I’m looking forward to learning how to cook more known Nigerian food, and my album, Amen.”

This deliberate pacing suggests a strategic shift towards quality control following her management deal with Roc Nation in July 2025, which handles her global brand strategy and touring

Continue Reading

Trending