Connect with us

Celebs

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Loses Son Amid Allegations of Healthcare Negligence

The controversy surrounding the death of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Dr Ivara Esege’s 21-month-old son, Nkanu Nnamdi Esege, has escalated following a detailed rebuttal to Euracare Multi-Specialist Hospital’s recent statement.

In a press release issued in response to Euracare’s statement dated Saturday, 10 January 2026, the child’s aunt, Dr Anthea Esege Nwandu, accused the hospital of presenting inconsistencies and false claims regarding the circumstances of her nephew’s death at its facility.

Dr Nwandu, a dual board-certified Internal Medicine physician with over 30 years of clinical experience in Nigeria and the United States, challenged Euracare’s assertion that the family’s account contained inaccuracies.

“In their press statement, Euracare claims that there are inaccuracies in the account of how my nephew passed. Which inaccuracies exactly?” she asked.

In her response, Dr Nwandu addressed several claims made by the hospital, contrasting them with what she described as “the documented truth of the situation.”

She disputed Euracare’s claim that the child had received care at two paediatric centres before arriving at the hospital. According to her, “This is false. He was in one hospital before coming to Euracare for the procedures.”

Euracare had also stated that it provided care “in line with established clinical protocols and internationally accepted medical standards,” a claim Dr Nwandu firmly rejected. She outlined what she said were multiple deviations from internationally accepted standards of care.

“International standards demand that a child on oxygen who is given sedation must have continuous oxygen therapy. Did Euracare do this? No! They confirmed this verbally to me when I went to the hospital to question the doctors,” she said. “International standards demand that the child should have had continuous monitoring of oxygen levels in his blood. Did Euracare do this? No.”

According to Dr Nwandu, additional lapses included the lack of continuous monitoring of the child’s pulse and respiration, as well as the failure to ensure the presence of resuscitative equipment during internal transfers within the hospital.

International standards demand continuous monitoring of pulse and respiration. Did Euracare do this? No,” she stated.

She also questioned the reliability of medical documentation under the circumstances described. “Since there was no monitoring, is it possible to accurately document when the child stopped breathing or for how long he was pulseless before he was resuscitated? No.”

Dr Nwandu further criticised the manner in which the child was handled following sedation. “Is it international standard for an anesthesiologist to carry a child post-sedation on his shoulder, unable to visually see the child, with absolutely no monitoring, while insisting that he alone would be in the elevator with the child? No,” she said.

She also alleged that the child’s oxygen supply was disconnected during his transfer to the intensive care unit. “To transfer the child to the ICU, the anesthesiologist disconnected his oxygen and again carried him on his shoulder. Is that standard practice? No.”

In the press release, Dr Nwandu maintained that her nephew was medically stable at the time of the incident and had already been scheduled for an evacuation flight to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Dr Anthea Esege Nwandu is board-certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Lifestyle Medicine. She is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and holds a Master of Public Health degree from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Euracare has stated that it is reviewing the matter amid ongoing public scrutiny of the hospital’s handling of the case.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Celebs

Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh launches Christian Prayer Ministry

The former Nollywood actress kicked off her ministry in Abuja, called New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle. After months of announcing her plans to go into ministry, former Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh is now leading a Christian gathering in Abuja. In a video clip shared on her Instagram page, the 40-year-old was captured leading a powerful prayer session in her newly launched New Wine Prophetic Ministry.

The former Nollywood star describes her New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle as an interdenominational altar dedicated to prayer, revival, spiritual training, and the awakening of consecrated believers.

“NEW WINE PROPHETIC TABERNACLE (NWPT) @nwpt_global is an interdenominational altar, spiritual home, and global movement of consecrated believers called to experience the raw power, purity, and presence of God. Grounded in the foundational truth of Scripture “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins…” (Mark 2:22).
NWPT exists as a dwelling place of His presence for those who refuse to settle for lukewarm Christianity and are hungry for genuine revival, fire, and transformation.”

She added that her ministry is not a church but an intense gathering of those consecrated and equipped for the purposes of God. Since converting to a born-again Christian, Tonto Dikeh has been vocal about her faith. In February 2026, she completed a discipleship programme at Pastor Jerry Eze’s Streams of Joy International church, sharing her certificate on Instagram and speaking about a profound spiritual rebirth that had reshaped her perspective on life, faith, and service.

The vocal embrace of her Christian faith has not been without some controversy. In March 2026, a video where she was performing a deliverance on a schoolgirl went viral online and led to massive criticism, including the threat of a lawsuit by a Human Rights Lawyer.

Continue Reading

Celebs

Veteran Actress Ngozi Nwosu appeals for N30 Million For Three Surgeries as she battles health crisis

Veteran Nollywood actress Ngozi Nwosu has made an emotional appeal to fans, colleagues and well-wishers as she battles a serious health condition that requires urgent medical attention.

The actress shared a photo of herself lying in a hospital bed, revealing that she has been hospitalised for the past three weeks. According to her, speaking publicly about her condition was a difficult decision, but she could no longer remain silent as she urgently needs three life-saving surgeries estimated to cost ₦30 million.

“My people, my fans and my family. I know you have not seen me in circulation for some time. I’ve been hospitalised now for three weeks.

“Pls, the thing has gone beyond my control. I need your help. Don’t let me die. I know that you people never forsake me, and I know that God will always see me through. But I am begging you my fans and family, don’t let me down.”

Nwosu also revealed the physical pain she has been enduring, adding that anyone willing to support her treatment should reach out to her management.

“I am going through a lot of pain. I have like three surgeries to go through.

“If there is anything you want to do for me, pls contact my management; they will be there. Thank you, God bless you. My sickness will never be anybody’s portion.”

n the caption accompanying the post, the actress reiterated her appeal, asking fans to share her message and contribute towards her treatment.

“Please don’t scroll past. Share this post and support if you can. God bless you, and may you and yours never experience this affliction.

“Please contact my legal representative/management for more details.

“Total amount needed for all surgeries is: N30,000,000.”

Nwosu is one of Nollywood’s celebrated veteran actresses, with a career spanning decades. She is widely recognised for her memorable performances in films and television productions.

Continue Reading

Celebs

Nollywood Veteran Hanks Anuku captured roaming the streets of Abuja

A viral video showing veteran Nollywood actor Hanks Anuku on a roadside in Abuja has sparked concern among Nigerians on social media. The footage, believed to have been recorded recently, shows the 64-year-old actor appearing distressed, holding a disposable cup and seemingly talking to himself. Some social media users speculated that he may have been under the influence of alcohol, though this remains unconfirmed.

​Sharing the clip online, eyewitnesses appealed for support, writing:

​“Please Nigerians, Nollywood actor Hanks Anuku needs our help. Please repost and share so he can get help.”
The video has generated mixed reactions, with some expressing concern for the actor’s well-being, while others urged the public not to jump to conclusions.

One user said, “He made his choice. Donate for him and he will still visit his drugs and drinks. Best advice na the one wey person advice himself.”

Several fans called on his fellow actors and the Nigerian Actors Guild to provide the actor with the necessary medical and financial support.\

Anuku previously made headlines in November 2022 after a viral video showed him dressed in worn-out clothing while wandering the streets, prompting widespread speculation about his mental health. The actor later dismissed claims that he was battling mental illness. However, this latest video shows concerns over the state of his mental health and well-being.

​During his time in Nollywood, Hanks Anuku was known for playing the archetypal bad-boy role, which earned him fame through his performances in movies like ‘The Senator.’ The actor’s current situation sheds light on the issues confronting movie stars and other celebrities who often battle with depression and financial crisis after leaving the limelight.

Continue Reading

Trending